Fabry Creek (Boss Tavern) Site
The Fabry Creek (Boss Tavern) site produced a range of artifacts related to three prehistoric occupations including:
The site is part of a complex of archaeological sites that stretch from the Fabry Creek drainage east of WIS 57 west to the Green Bay shoreline.
The site represents a series of prehistoric sites located on a sandy glacial ridge. The Fabry Creek (Boss Tavern) site was known to local residents as early as the 1800s. It was officially recorded by the Wisconsin Historical Society in 1906. WIS 57 archaeologists worked at the site from 1999 through 2003.
Paleoindian deposits at the site suggest a small hunting camp located on the shoreline of old Glacial Lake Algonquin. Organic materials from these deposits have been radiocarbon dated to about 9000 B.C.
The site produced a variety of stone artifacts including spearpoints, knives, hidescrapers, and gravers. Other artifacts were made from bone. The artifacts were used to butcher animals and to make clothing and shelters from the animal skins.
North Bay Middle Woodland
Middle Woodland groups likely used the site as a small hunting camp about A.D. 100. Artifacts recovered from the site include:
Mero Complex Oneota
Excavations at the Fabry Creek (Boss Tavern) site also produced evidence of occupation by people of the Mero Complex Oneota tradition. Mero Complex people probably occupied the site after A.D. 1100. Recovered artifacts include:
Fabry Creek (Boss Tavern)